Creative Art

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Snow Dyeing February 2008



































































My experiments after reading about Kelly Hendrikson's Snow Dyeing.










Unduleted paint squirted into snow in plastic containers...set outside over night to freeze.
Snow & paint melted on cotton fabric..you can almost see the circles from the plastic containers the paint did not move.



We had a "Heat Waive" and the snow melted outside...I covered a pannel with this melted snow & paint(more liquid to move the paints around and cover more of the pannel.









This photo shows a plastic garbage bag & old towels to catch melting snow & paint.The paint washed out of the towels. All my snow dyed fabrics were dried and heat set with my iron.










Beige on beige fabric folded-double...Same piece of fabric dyed twice.(first on top/second on side). I cut this fabric for outside border & binding for the pannel.










Pannel cut and pieced together with snow dyed boarders...Close-up above.

I received the pannel from a friend at a Quilt Friendship Meeting ...it was offered to all at the meeting...no-one wanted it..someone said give it to Jan and she will do something with it...
Well, it had the four-pannels and six Valentine Post-cards....I copied the valentines and printed 6 more on fabric....Embelished the Valentines and sent one to each member in our group. Telling them the small Quilt would be finished and unveiled when the "Snow-Birds" returned from Fl. I did show the unfinished top at our next meeting...they said they liked it....???? not sure as most of my group are Traditional Quilters......


This was my last Snow dyeing experiment ......Silver on white (2000 fabric)..I added water to my paints before it was frozen over-night...next spread on double folded fabric to melt.The first photo was on top & is darker.....second photo more pastel....bottom photo opened to see both sides.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home